The Power of Siblings

 When you grow up as an only child, the biggest thing that you miss out on is the best friend from birth, that knows you inside and out better and longer than anyone. That is the reflection that I had this Thanksgiving, watching my grown daughters with their children, playing together, bonding together, looking out for each other, protecting each other, serving each other, loving each other, embracing each other. 

I thought back to a space in time that my first born was alone for five years and then her sister came, now she had a best friend for life. Two years later, my son came and my daughters now had someone that they could care for and love on and embrace, as though he belonged to them. There they were the three of them thicker than peanut butter, and when I say that they stuck together their entire lives even until this day, it is the most beautiful sight to see, the bond of siblings. Together they have blessed me with 14 beautiful grandchildren , coming from an only child's perspective it is a beautiful thing to experience. I am grateful to witness the power of siblings, and by the grace of God, I can truly see the importance of having those first best friends in life. It teaches us about sharing and caring and true love. 

This power of siblings is beyond any other experience in life that I have ever witnessed. Nothing or no one can replace it because it is something that is for a lifetime and it is an experience from birth that no one else can have with you. When you meet someone in your life, they have only traveled with you from that point where they met you but siblings, they have been with you from the beginning and they have witnessed every turn, every hill, every valley in your life experiences and they can help you tell your story over and over and over every holiday gathering. They can laugh and they can cry and they can share, they can love and they can grieve, and they can remember together every experience. Where else can someone truly know you like this bond. It is irreplaceable, I hope that this holiday season allows siblings to look in the mirror and realize the blessings that comes from having someone that knows you to this depth . I wish you peace and love and happiness  in your sharing this holiday season, and for those that may not be still with you, celebrate their lives in your stories, in your memories and be blessed for they are never far from you as long as you hold your memories. Hold on to this power of siblings.

Comments

Popular Posts